Basalt is a volcanic rock possessing ideal properties like inertness coupled with excellent resistance to corrosion and abrasion.
After selective quarrying the rock is melted at a temperature of around 1500 degree C and cast into molds or spun into cylinders. The castings so produced are then subjected to heat treatment cycles in special kilns to produce re-crystallized basalt. The product thus produced inherits inertness of parent materials. Its
microcrystalline, non-porous texture being denser and more homogenous than raw basalt, it acquires exceptionally high abrasion resistance.
DEMECH is the only company in India having the capability to produce Cast Basalt tiles and cylinders, at it's manufacturing facility in Pune, since 1987.
Cast Basalt is the best lining material for sliding abrasion preferred by industry. It is extensively used for lining pipes, bends, trenches, sumps etc.
- Friction Resistance - As more material is passed over Cast Basalt it gets polished up thereby reducing friction further. Cast Basalt improves in service after getting polished. Wetting also improves its performance in practical applications.
- Impact Resistance - Direct Impact Resistance at 90 degree is low like all other ceramics, but it can be increased with proper installation by reducing the angle of impact. Cast Basalt is the best wherever sliding abrasion exists. Moreover, external impact strength of composite basalt pipe (enclosed in M.S. Shell) is always more than that of bare Ni-hard Pipe.
- Chemical Resistance Cast Basalt is almost absolutely acid/alkali resistant (except Hydrofluoric Acid) and hence corrosion resistant.
- Weight and Sizes - Basalt Tiles are available in regular shape square of 200 x 200 x 30 mm thick, weighing approx. 90 kg/sq m; whereas bends and pipes are lined using Basalt Cylinders of various standard sizes from 50NB upto 500NB.
- Temperature - Cast Basalt withstands temperature up to 4500 C
- Life - Life of basalt-lined pipe is estimated to be 7 to 10 times that of Cast Iron, and 3 to 4 times that of Ni-hard Steel.
||2.9 to 3.1 gm/cm3
||Minimum 4500 kg/ cm2
||8 as compared to 10 of Diamond Moh's Scale.
||0.4 mm material loss (max.) OR 2 Cm3/ Cm2
- Thermal Power Stations - Raw Coal Chutes/ Hoppers, Feed Bunker/Coal Bunker, Ash Pits, Crushers, Bottom Ash, Disposal Slurry, Dust Lines/ Bends, Pipeline/Bends, Fly Ash. Trenches below Hopper and pipelines, Pulverized Coal Piping
- Cement Plants - Dynamic Air Separators, Raw Mill Ducts/ Chutes, Drag Chain Conveyor, Grate Cooler Housing, Air Separator/ Cyclones, Coal Handling, Coal Hopper/ Chutes, Cement Conveying, Slurry Lines/ Bends Lines/ Bends, Discharge Boxes / Bankers, Lime/Silica Hoppers/Chutes, Chain Conveyor Housing, Mixers/Nozzles, Coal Ventury.
- Steel plants - Coke sorting unit, Coal bunkers / sinter bunkers, Lime bunkers, Coke breeze, Sinter plant cyclones, Sinter plant flow conveyors, Iron slurry line, Thick slurry lines, Air lift pipes, Telescopic pipes, Granulated slag, Hot mill flume
- Coal Washeries - Coal Washing Plants, Coal Transportation, Conveyor Chutes/Pipes, Floatation Cells, Media Sumps, Centrifuges, Cyclones, Sieves
- Extreme high resistance to sliding abrasion
- High resistance to most chemicals.
- Can be casted into a wide range of shapes viz. Flat and Curved Tiles-Square, hexagonal, circular pipe liners and Special castings.
- Greenbank, Australia
- Noltec / Normicon, Italy
- Al-Muhaya, Kuwait
- Quinlink, Taiwan
- Glories Ent. Co., Taiwan
- BHEL- Noida / Bangalore,
- NTPC – All Units
- NSPCL Units – Bhilai, Rourkela
- State Electricity Boards like MSPGCL, GSECL, APPGCL, CSPGCL, TNEB
- BGR Energy Systems Limited
- CPP – Nalco, Balco, Tata Chemical
- Adani Power, Adani Infra
- Tata Power
- Reliance Energy
- Bhushan Energy
- Tecpro Systems
- Mcnally Bharat
- Jindal Power Ltd.
- Mecgale Pneumatics
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation
- Sterlite Energy
- Torrent Power
- Wardha Power
- Tata Steel Jamshedpur
- SAIL Units – Bhilai, Bokaro, Rourkela, Durgapur
- Essar Steel
- Danieli Corus
- Bhushan Steel and Power
- JSPL – Raigarh, Patratu, Angul
- JSW – Bellary
- JSW Ispat–Dolvi
- Tata Projects Limited – Kolkata, Secunderabad
- L&T Kolkatta, Chennai
- Simplex Infrastructure
- All Cement Plants like ACC, Ambuja, Ultratech, Jaypee, Lafarge, Birla, Dalmia, ICL, MCL
- Humboldt Wedag
- F L Smidth
- Thyssen Krupp
- Walchandnagar Industries
- Tisco Washeries
- Schenk Process